Sunday, July 24, 2011

Wilson Peak's Other Side


If I could walk each day to places I have never seen before (in LA, the rest of the US, or wherever), I would be a happy camper.

Today I drove up to Silver Pick Basin on the slopes of Wilson Peak (14,017 ft.) and got a first-time peek at the backside of that mountain.

Encountering "No trespassing" signs, I finally turned back and drove to Woods Lake, where I had a spectacular sunset view of Wilson and some other peaks (but not El Diente and Mount Wilson--they were behind the ones closer to me).


Worst ten minutes of the day: when I turned my back on Mocha to relieve myself and she vanished. No other hikers around to give me clues on which way she had gone... this spot was beyond remote.


After yelling and walking in circles waving dog biscuits, I finally saw her calmly walking out of the woods.

From that moment on, I kept her on the leash. (When will I learn?)

No comments:

Post a Comment