Wednesday, August 2, 2017

Crossing Ice Packs on the Trail



I was trying to get to a beautiful high Alpine valley near Sonora Pass on July 14, but I encountered a gully that contained the remnant ice of many snow slides last winter.

I wasn't brave enough to cross it--I hadn't brought hiking poles and didn't have a companion to call for help in case I slid down the snow.  

I hiked up the side of the hill next to it and found a beautiful meadow of tiny Alpine flowers as well as spectacular views--but I didn't go back down to the trail on the other side of the slide. That would have required me to walk back up on the way back.

But today I feel justified in my decision.  The LA Times reports that all high-altitude hikers in California are having a tough time this summer, especially those doing the 3,000-mile Sierra Highline Trail.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-pacific-crest-trail-dangerous-20170802-story.html

The photo of the hiker with poles inching across the snow tells it all.

See also this report on Mono Lake doing well this year, sent by my friend Diane, who researched and gave me instructions to the hike near Sonora Pass.

http://www.monolake.org/today/2017/07/20/mono-lake-rose-a-record-amount-in-june-2017/

No comments:

Post a Comment