Sunday, November 10, 2013

Fireball

Flash--a fireball streaking across the sky toward Los Angeles International Airport.  

I thought it was a plane on fire about to crash, but then it vanished.

A few hours later I found out that a meteor had been sighted from Utah to southern California just before 8 pm.  

I was driving southeast on Sepulveda Blvd. at about 83rd Street when I saw it, wide as a yellow marker pen drawing a line across the black sky.  

Many times I've stayed up at night in the Rocky Mountains or the high desert to watch the Perseid or Leonid meteor shower, counting myself lucky to see a few falling stars.  

This was completely different--a stroke the width of a finger, bright yellow--easily visible while driving down a busy street filled with lights.

The meteor messenger was saying: You are not alone, people of Earth.  You are part of a solar system and galaxy.  

Heads up!

https://vine.co/v/hIeMDwijqUJ

No comments:

Post a Comment